From Rodovid Engine
Differentiating people via naming
I am wondering why the name is designed to enter only the first name at birth and last name at birth and then separating the middle names into a different field. This may become confusing in the future if one runs into a line like (Sinclair) where all children of each generation has the same name. Does the software display the middle names during a search? For example if one enters Samuel Taylor... will all Samuel Taylor's be displayed with middle names or birth dates to differentiate.. example:
- Samuel Lee Taylor
- Samuel Markham Taylor
- Samuel Taylor 1606-1692
- Samuel Taylor 1709-1739
- Samuel Taylor ?-1934
Almoustine 16:31, 2 January 2008 (EET)
- It is not true. First nameS at birth and last/family name at birth. --Baya 23:19, 2 January 2008 (EET)
Ethiopian naming conventions
I'm interested in starting a family tree for an Ethiopian community. The naming style in Ethiopia has no family names. Every person has one name only. For example if a child is named Yohannes and his father is Abraham and his grandfather is Alemayehu, his full name would be Yohannes Abraham. His father's name would be Abraham Alemayehu...and so on. How can I do that on Rodovid?
- In this case "family name" === "last name". It is not so complicate, but what do you think about lineage? How you will mark lineage? of course, you can do not use lineage. --Baya 18:53, 7 June 2007 (EEST)
Baya... how about using a clan or tribal affiliation?188.8.131.52 15:50, 2 January 2008 (EET)
- For Ethiopians? --Baya 23:05, 2 January 2008 (EET)
Meaning of Rodovid
What does rodovid mean? Rob Hooft 23:13, 16 March 2006 (EET)
-  -- I hope this help you. I require too many words to describe it. :) --Baya 13:14, 17 March 2006 (EET)
Isn't Babel active in engine.rodovid nor en.rodovid ?
Babel is a feature of MidiWiki... correct ?
Isn't active or unavaliable in the Rodovid ?
I created my Morais69br page in the en.rodovid, but command user isn't work... Thanks. Morais 23:17, 10 February 2006 (EET)
- It's not a feature - Babel is a collection of user pages, templates and categories. Read about Babel on wikipedia or wikitree and activate it here :) Into engine I add some templates --Baya 13:01, 11 February 2006 (EET)
Why I don't see link to my language or links to other languages
In pt.rodovid.org the other languages box (Outras línguas) show only ENGLISH and this box isn't showed in the main-page !
What file change to show all 4 other languages ? In the engine, pt. or all languages ? Morais 06:48, 14 February 2006 (EET)
- When you work with persons and families during saving records automatically marked as have translation to your working language. For all other pages you must use standard mediawiki procedure. See for example code of english main page
- Sorry, I'm referr to the BOX in left side of page, the menu named Other Languages (available)... In pt.rodovid.org only English language is showed !
In the en. I can see only the code of page with out MENUs in left... :-( Morais 16:38, 14 February 2006 (EET)
- Sorry, I'm referr to the BOX in left side of page, the menu named Other Languages (available)... In pt.rodovid.org only English language is showed !
Pages content corrected only after updates in the previous person of tree
I'm corrected/changed CLAN of some ppl of my family, but isn't update in TREE...
Only after SAVE the oldest(?) grandfather, WITH OUT CHANGES!, the TREE is updated and showed ALL CLAN names correctly!
Is it a bug ? Morais 18:32, 11 February 2006 (EET)
Person update - modify to another people
I inserted one duplicated record for same people (http://en.rodovid.org/wk/Edmund Tudor (Tudor, b. 1430 d. 1456) = person:903), clicking in save button after submit 1st time...
To reuse this record I changed ALL datas for next ppl tath I will be insert, but in three is showed the OLD values (name, dates, etc)... not updated to new values changed...
Is it a bug ?
I create new records and discard this, filling BLANK in ALL fields... :-( Morais 18:48, 11 February 2006 (EET)
- In both cases problem in page caching. Set in you preferences "Do not cache pages" when actively work with db. Or strongly reload page into browser to receive new version of page. --Baya 03:56, 12 February 2006 (EET)
- Baya, in both cases I used the CTRL+F5 to reload pages, but content is the same... after UPDATED the person and used CTRL+F5, one more time, the content was correct. After I will be test this CTRL+R ! Thanks. Morais 07:53, 12 February 2006 (EET)
Countries categories doesn't exist
Do you know that system not creating the Categories of countries ? It's showed in RED color...
- At this time it is a link to page about country not a category maker. In general, category is a mechanism to make a union of pages that have something common. But It will be unusable if in this union you will see thousands or more records. So standard category mediawiki mechanism can't be used to categorise persons by country. I propose use for looking persons in by country and by dates by special page "Country List", "Events List".... At this time we not need this pages due to Surnames List are browsable (not so many peoples in db), but over some time I add create needed pages.
- For example, all Kings of England can be added to special Category:Kings of England. (do it into Notes for every King).
This is a problem where Kings and Country borders change. What country would you put for someone who is king of multiple countries like France/Spain/England? Also.... it might be better if a field "Title" could be better for example... title "King", "Prince" "Count" "Duke" etc... Then the persons birth place could indicate the country. The purpose of genealogy is to capture relationships between people.... The fact that a person might have a title is secondary.Almoustine 16:25, 2 January 2008 (EET)
- Just a new title for this men/women --Baya 23:17, 2 January 2008 (EET)
TREE - How many levels is showed from selected person ?
How many levels of ansectors and how many levels of descendant is showed from selected person ? Morais 23:46, 16 February 2006 (EET)
- At this time only time of script execution time limit this. So any checks not provided now. At this tree now shown 227 persons. It takes 7-12 seconds depends on server loading. Maximal script execution time now is 30 seconds. So I think maximal number of persons in tree is aprox (30 - 3) / ( 7 / 227 ) ~= 750-800 persons.... for 25-27 seconds :) --Baya 10:05, 17 February 2006 (EET)
- You can see this unreal tree as example :) http://engine.rodovid.org/wk/Special:Tree/1547 --Baya 14:12, 23 February 2006 (EET)
Tree - tree of person isn't empty but not showed
- I see there 10 persons :) Check your preferences\Misc\Disable page caching box --Baya 10:12, 17 February 2006 (EET)
- Ok, ok, cache one more time... :-( Sorry ! Morais 07:09, 18 February 2006 (EET)
Link to add person in other language is incorrect
The link "Add record about person in other language: Nederlands, Português, Русский, Українська. " at top of FORM is incorrect... It is with out &action=edit... and load one page with out the FORM.... Morais 00:36, 15 February 2006 (EET)
- This is just a information links. When we have many languahes I replace its with one link to main page ( http://rodovid.org/ ) --Baya 17:42, 17 February 2006 (EET)
- Now, it's ok... Link just go to main page of selected language ! Thanks. Morais 15:37, 18 February 2006 (EET)
Adding person(s) from FAMILY EDIT or PERSON EDIT
Using the button ADD, to add children, from FAMILY EDIT (ex.: http://en.rodovid.org/wk?title=Family:190&action=edit) is opened a new page (http://en.rodovid.org/wk?title=Person:New&action=edit&father=926&mother=925)...
Please, pass the original (referrer?) page (Family:190) as parameter for this new page (as &prev=Family:190) and after save record, when click in save button, return to this previous page in edit mode: Family:190 !
Use the same feature for others opened pages from PERSON EDIT as ADD NEW FAMILY, ADD of Brothers & Sisters, ADD children.
I'm added this as DISCUSSION for use "+" menu to add new topics, ok? Thanks. Morais 05:42, 11 February 2006 (EET)
- You can use shortest way. Don't return to family edit page. Just start edit again person that you have saved and press "Add brother/sister". --Baya 18:26, 15 February 2006 (EET)
- Ok, it's a way...
But for adding multiple person (child or brother/sister) would be more easy returning to same page... for just click in add button other times... :-) Morais 23:26, 15 February 2006 (EET)
- Ok, it's a way...
- I do this for special manner. For additional check. Very offen I forgot set a sex value, some times other... So system bring to you saved version and you can check it one more time before continue your work... --Baya 15:34, 16 February 2006 (EET)
How many persons can family contains
My "prima"(friend) (person:1026) has added her family(http://pt.rodovid.org/wk?title=Fam%C3%ADlia%3A276&diff=1918&oldid=1909) WITH OUT her husband... the mother of child...
Is it correct ?
Or need to ADD one restriction in FAMILY for only accept family(create or edit) with both spouses filled: husband and wife ? Morais 19:46, 24 February 2006 (EET)
- Script check only have family at least one person, if no - you can't save a family in other case - can. So you can create harems etc.... Harem example - http://pt.rodovid.org/wk/Fam%C3%ADlia:178 . By the way, some man add two records in pt db, please check them and set true fields values --Baya 21:34, 24 February 2006 (EET)
Ok, now I understand how to ONE FAMILY has more than 1 spouse/wedding, and I changed Family of my uncle ! Is family for one person(man) and adding ALL of his spouses... ? I will write this in help...
But the first case of this topic, is a family with only 1 person and 1 child... with out spouse... Is it correct ? Morais 00:14, 25 February 2006 (EET)
- Harem (one men + many women ) it is not a same with 2,3 or 4 families of one individual. Your uncle has different families, or maybe he was a mormon or arab :) ? Do not mix your uncle families!.
- Family can be created at any time for existing person. So it can contains only one ((( person - this is not real situation - not comlete family and must be rearranged or removed --Baya 01:01, 25 February 2006 (EET)
- Oh, no ! I'm undertand wrong/bad... :-(
Thanks for your explanation! I will recover previous version of two families changed today... Morais 05:12, 25 February 2006 (EET)
- Oh, no ! I'm undertand wrong/bad... :-(
Hello! I have a lot of situations where I can identify only one parent of a child. The functionaltiy to create a family with one parent and one child and link in a spouse (the other parent) later is important to proper documentation. Also... it is possible that I know of only one parent but another contributor will know the other parent and can fill that in for me as they add their information to the tree....We need to keep the ability to create separate family groups for a person with different spouses... and to save inforation on family groups were only one parent is known. (I have tested this on my own family where I have two different sets of parents (mormon=sealing/adoption) and (biological, one parent deceased) also both biological parents have separate families who may wish to add their information. 184.108.40.206 15:58, 2 January 2008 (EET)
- Generally, parents are not spouses necessary. So links between parents and children does not depend from links between spouses as really as technically into rodovid. Or maybe I don't understand you? --Baya 23:09, 2 January 2008 (EET)
What is the other names ?
Here, in Brasil, is very common child with SAME name of PERSON for some descendants, example:
Person: Geraldo Coura - The name is Geraldo and Surname is Coura for every descendants!!! Descendants has only one qualify plus...
Son: Geraldo Coura FILHO (= son) or Geraldo Coura JÚNIOR
GrandSon(?): Geraldo Coura NETO (= grandchildren)
Child of brother: Geraldo Coura SOBRINHO (=son of brother)
I'm registered one person (http://pt.rodovid.org/wk/Pessoa:944) with this qualify before the NAME and separated by ',' as NAME: Filho, Manoel - SURNAME: Mota.
Can this field used for qualify generations of same name ? If it's true, please, add this field after surname when show FULL NAME of people for Portuguese language, separated with BLANK/space and not by ':' as it's ! Morais 00:34, 25 February 2006 (EET)
- In all your examples you say about name. Some times individual can change a name and surname during life (old - Geraldo Coura, new - Robert Ivanov). Also in other names you can add tender names. I add this field for additonal search possibility for bad known relatives... Or maybe in your case qualifies will be other - you can decide it by yourself - in any case this information stored into one field --Baya 01:11, 25 February 2006 (EET)
- Now, the correct use is add the "//" simbol in position to surname, to compose Full Name: Ex: Name: Manoel // Neto - Surname: Mota - result Full Name: Manoel Mota Neto. Morais 07:15, 4 March 2006 (EET)
What does the clan value mean?
Can you explain what the goal of a Clan value is? What is the difference between Clan and Family name? --Rob Hooft 08:31, 2 March 2006 (EET)
clan == kin == род == wikipedia:uk:рід == is a value that indicates a direct relationship between surnames.
In the list of Surnames individuals are grouped by clan value.
In many languages, the surname can have small variations but should still be grouped together.
Clan = Ивановы Surname of women = Иванова Surname of men = Иванов
Clan = Zuccherato (the original and oldest) Surname = Olivieri Zuccherato OR Tescaro Zuccherato OR Zoccarato OR Zucarato OR Zoccherato OR Zaccarato... Clan = Mello Surname = Morais de Mello
Clan = Epre Surname = d'Epre
The surname of a child can come from the father or from the mother or from both but in general in the next generation only part of the given surname of the child is given to the childs children. This part is the clan value. :) --Baya 11:09, 2 March 2006 (EET)
- Understandable. I took the liberty of modifying the English a little. Rob Hooft 20:31, 2 March 2006 (EET)
Clan/Surname changes with time
Another Clan value question: During past centuries, names have sometimes changed. Some of my ancestors were called Hoofd instead of Hooft. Should these get the same Clan value? Rob Hooft 18:04, 18 March 2006 (EET)
- I think they must have different clan value. But imho it will be good to describe into article about Clan:Hooft these changes, why they occure etc .... (see also news for 2006 Feb 20) --Baya 14:38, 20 March 2006 (EET)
I think perhaps the field for other surnames might be a good place to record a surname variation especially if the same person has used different spellings. Then keep the clan name the same (try to use the original or majority spelling for the clan name). This will help people be able to find a person for link in and will not get confusing... Too many variations of family/tribe/clan names will make it difficult to search for individuals beyond the 1600's 220.127.116.11 16:03, 2 January 2008 (EET)
Clan value without surname prefixes
Why do you change all clans from "von Wittelsbach" to "Wittelsbach"? In German the "von" is an inherent part of most aristocratic surnames and it' different from non-aristocratic surnames without "von". -- 20:46, 14. Mär 2006 (EET)
I just uploaded quite a few people from my gedcom files. The automatically function, filling clan with familyname removes all articles of dutch familynames: de Vries becomes Vries, van der Berg, van den Berg both Berg and Veen, van Veen and van der Veen all just only Veen. This combines different families in one clan which are not related at all. Klaas Jansen--18.104.22.168 13:00, 4 April 2006 (EEST)
- I known this fact. There are exists many different prefixes that hide real first letter of Clan name (not surname!!). So surnames list will be not clear with de, da, der, das, von, де, фон, van, etc prefixes. I think that it will be more predictable and convienent standard - to look for clan name into surnames list without prefixes. In any case full name everywhere, even into surnames list, contains all prefixes. It is possible instead removing prefixies move then to the end of clan value
van der Berg => Berg, van der van Veen => Veen, van
If this applyable, add feature request to bugzilla, please. --Baya 12:55, 15. Mär 2006 (EET)
This has my vote.... Drop the prefix! The purpose of the tribe/Clan/Surname is to help locate people. It doesnt matter if they aristocrat or not if they are from the same area.... The Surname can say De Vries but the Clan name should be Vries....BTW... my genealogy has a lot of d'Estaing, de Taing, desTaing, deStaing, l'Estain, LesTaing...as well as Easton and Eastin so I understand completely! But it really does makes it more confusing to have to accommodate multiple prefixes than to present a common category (people from this lineage or area) and allow persons to find a particular surname from within that category. That is the strength of this system versus the world tree... We need to stay out of the box in order to avoid falling into the same crappy trap that exists in other genealogy systems Almoustine 16:19, 2 January 2008 (EET)
Difference between marriage and wedding
What is the intended difference between marriage and wedding? Both are currently translated to the same word in nl: Rob Hooft 09:39, 4 March 2006 (EET)
- On monday I recode events list - it will be contain all 5.5 gedcom events. Only translations will be required from sysop :) --Baya 18:50, 4 March 2006 (EET)
Any possibility we can get a relationship category for concubine or mistress? Almoustine 16:18, 2 January 2008 (EET)
- There are exists "other" event where you can mark this family as "concubine" or "mistress" :) --Baya 23:15, 2 January 2008 (EET)
Not accepting event country? date, place, ext info....
When I try to add a birth country to Person:1956 and save the page, it doesn't seem to save it for some reason. --Dallan 09:16, 4 March 2006 (EET)
- Event of person of family be stored into db if this event is checked. --Baya 18:56, 4 March 2006 (EET)
International links show up empty?
I tried to make some links to people and families on the nl: home page, but I could not:
- If I link to a person like Person:1788, and that person is created in another language, I get a red link. This is not what I want, because people will end up in the edit screen.
- If I link to that person with pt:Person:1788, the link shows up empty
- If I link to pt:Person:1788|alt text, the link is still empty.
Help? Rob Hooft 23:10, 6 March 2006 (EET)
- This is a feature of mediawiki software. All link to international value like pt:Person:1788|alt text or pt:Person:1788 are automatically moved to «Other languages box». To make a link to article in other language you must add colon ':' before link
[[:pt:Person:1788]] = pt:Person:1788 [[:pt:Person:1788|The best women]] = The best women
- NB. Engine and real db contains different records. So if you make links from each to other you must add text into link. Like in example above (into engine Lidy has id 1788, but into real db - this id has another person)
Do I need to register at the rodovid.org website and automatically be a user at all the Language sites ?? -- Powerzite 22:20, 13 February 2006 (EET)
Why anonymous can be insert and update data if the register step is too easy and rapid ? How to disable UPDATES for anonymous in pt.rodovid ? Morais 18:28, 9 March 2006 (EET)
- From this time anonymous can adit only standard wiki pages. --Baya 19:32, 9 March 2006 (EET)
- I made error and turn on anonymous in pt instead others. In general - it is bad idea protect wiki from anonymous edits. Maybe I turn on it for Pt too? There are exists some other mechanisms to protect projects from spam - I add it on this week. --Baya 11:20, 18 March 2006 (EET)
Recent Changes - add CONTRIB link close to (Discuss | Block)
Is easy add more one link of USER in list of RECENT CHANGES (as wk?title=Especial:Contributions&target=Morais69br), to view ALL contibutions of selected user ? Morais 07:05, 4 March 2006 (EET)
- There are so many information into RC.... Click on user name and then into toolbox on link "User contributions"....
Input form options disabled
There seems to be a lot of disabled inputs on the App Person form, including Siblings.
- All this inputs are disabled until person is not stored. How you can add sister to unexisting/unknown person?
How to make link to wikipedia nonenglish localisation
The alias wk: don't accept language code.
- If I use [[wk:Brasil]](wk:Brasil), this link goes to en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brasil. No, it isn't correct...
- If I use [[pt:wk:Brasil]]()link not work...
How I use alias or call to goes to page in portuguese as first link above ? Tanks. Morais 08:27, 10 March 2006 (EET)
- Ok, thanks! :-) Morais 00:47, 11 March 2006 (EET)
Registered users can set tree colors. Just create subpage «Tree Colors» of page of user and fill it by color values. Page must contain only colors
#66CDAA #DE8887 #9ACD32 #D2691E
Example: User:Baya/Tree Colors
Do you have ideas on the categorization of people? I just added [[Category:Royalty]] to the notes field in the record of Diana Spencer. This works, but is that intended? Rob Hooft 22:39, 16 March 2006 (EET)
- Any can use all standard mediawiki features (including categorization). Categorization is very convienent feature to union some similar pages, persons etc. But at this time:
- there are no any checks in witch lang category is used (I can check in witch lang is peron and hide category in other langs).
- Trees and list don't present info about categories (I'll code this).
- I imagine categories. Kings of England (standard), of France, Rus, Romanov's House, Pasangers of Germanicus, Pasangers of Titanik... etc
- Example en:Category:Presidents of the United States
--Baya 10:04, 17 March 2006 (EET)
Option to delete people/families
I want to delete my family from Rodovid, for personal reasons I won't go into here. However, I believe the option to delete people and families isn't currently available. Could this option please be implemented soon? 22.214.171.124 03:25, 19 March 2006 (EET)
- Allowing everyone to delete information from Rodovid would be contrary to the goals of the project. We should instate a "Request for deletion" policy like on Wikipedia. Rob Hooft 09:16, 19 March 2006 (EET)
- I think we will have a deletion policy eventually, but at the moment, just ask one of the sysops.
- Also registered users can delete theyself records if other users don't edit it. --Baya 16:11, 20 March 2006 (EET)
Hiding Living People?
This is a corollary: It seems to me that many genealogists (in the US, since that's where most of my knowledge is based on) prefer to hide information about living people. As they may extend this to their own entry, it could be a stumbling block to Rodovid. Would it be reasonable to allow for a check to 'hide' family members by showing only (Living) or some variation thereof for first name and no other data, and locking edits to the creator until the person is non-hidden? --Pipian 03:28, 19 April 2006 (EEST)
- It's a general disscusion about private policy - Rd Engine talk:Private policy. --Baya 09:49, 19 April 2006 (EEST)
I'm a sysop on engine: and en:, does anyone know how to get a list of all the sysops for a paticular language? --Bjwebb 11:26, 19 March 2006 (EET)
- http://XX.rodovid.org/wk/Special:Listusers/sysop or from List of users into SpecialPages --Baya 16:11, 20 March 2006 (EET)
- Also, you can use http://XX.rodovid.org/wk/Special:Listadmins on most Mediawiki installations
What is Rd_ind_refs?
What is Rd_ind_refs. Is it just a reference number for GEDCOM export?, and if I had new people to the tree manually, can I give them a number so that they can be exported as a GEDCOM in future?--Bjwebb 14:31, 27 March 2006 (EEST)
- This is a list of known unique(?) reference numbers from different stores about persons (AFN, SSN, etc) One number per line. Of course, you can edit this field. --Baya 17:42, 27 March 2006 (EEST)
- What do you mean by AFN or SSN, what are they abbreviations for?--Bjwebb 17:51, 27 March 2006 (EEST)
(picked up from Main Page Talk)
Is the source for how you do this available? It seems to me that the tree structure (with some modifications) would be useful for things other than family trees. --126.96.36.199 14:35, 27 February 2006 (EET)
- I hope that over not long period of rodovid rising I open full rodovid code. BTW about what things your asks? --Baya 10:19, 28 February 2006 (EET)
Are there any plans to stabilized the modified source for Rodovid and release it to the public? I love the premise, and the software layout, but I don't think everyone would necessarily be comfortable only dumping information into Rodovid, and might want to have a Rodovid-like setup on their own personal family site that's (perhaps) more limited in scope. If it's going to be released publically, it might be useful to start a meta-page oriented towards a checklist of desired features for an initial release... --Pipian 03:35, 19 April 2006 (EEST)
- Well from what I have heard, Baya does plan to release the source code, but only do so after a merge with Wikitree has taken place (so Wikitree can not steal his idea and carry on without him, I'm not saying they would do this, its just in case).
- Baya, could you confirm that this is the case.--Bjwebb 11:54, 19 April 2006 (EEST)
This is one of the most important conditions --Baya 13:21, 19 April 2006 (EEST)
Any changes to this intention in the last few years? 188.8.131.52 22:47, 25 March 2010 (EET)
- Unfortunately ((( --Baya 08:52, 26 March 2010 (EET)
- What does this mean? Now that WikiTree is quite dead [even the archive is offline :( ] this doesn't seem to be a practical concern. It would be great to update the public wikipedia article about Rodovid with a statement about code openness :) Sj 20:52, 30 March 2013 (EET)
(Is it normal to ask in russian?)
Здравствуйте! В русском разделе открытого проекта «Викисловарь» ( http://ru.wiktionary.org/ ) происходит дискуссия по возможности расширения функциональности. Можно ли посоветоваться с разработчиками вашего движка? А именно, интересуют следующие вопросы. Через Wikimedia API можно увидеть, что ваш движок хранит данные в xml. Производите ли вы генерацию wiki-текста по xml, или сразу же генерируете html по xml? Насколько сильно пришлось изменять движок? Расширяли ли вы структуру базы данных движка wikimedia? neurocod 19:40, 24 February 2010 (EET)
- происходит генерация. пришлось. расширяли значительно. --Baya 08:54, 26 March 2010 (EET)
- Чесно говоря я бы сформировал бы его совсем по другому. Вообще. Весь викисловарь на всех языках. Потому как в таком варианте выполняется практически бесконечное количество лишней работы. --Baya 09:04, 26 March 2010 (EET)
- На данный момент у разных языковых Викисловарей слишком сильно отличаются аудитории. Консенсуса достичь среди них будет сложно, особенно на первых порах. Лишней работы выполняется как раз не очень много - например, в русском викисловаре запрещено делать переводы для языковых пар, если одним из языков не является русский. То есть, с японского на немецкий перевод будет только в японском или немецком викисловарях, и ни в каких других. Уже сейчас боты заимствуют много метаданных из одних викисловарей в другие, а с введением нового формата станет еще легче.
- Спасибо за ответы. Еще вопрос - по тестированию. Писали ли вы новые тесты, по аналогии с теми, которые находятся в wikimedia, или использовали хотя бы имеющиеся? neurocod 00:05, 2 April 2010 (EEST)
- Имхо, викисловарь должен описывать вообще только свои слова и фразы. А для перевода следует либо делать интервики либо написать аякс (или перекрестный инклюд), который будет подгружать описание переводов с других языков. Хорошо бы сделать возможность для пользователя выбирать нужные ему языки переводов. Таким образом интервики автоматически (с некоторым ущербом конечно) будут давать переводы на все викисловарные языки... Важно также, что полное описание объекта всегда будет описываться нативными спикерами. А применимость переводов можно сделать группируя интервики по областям, с возможностью для юзера выбирать области. На аудиторию внимание обращать не нужно - сделаете удобную вещь, все быстренько используют ваши наработки )))))
- Автоматизированные тесты я не использовал и не писал. --Baya 10:00, 2 April 2010 (EEST)
Meaning of event abbreviations
Hello! When adding events for a person (or for a family), there's a list from which one can choose; for persons it is: birth - christening - title - occupation etc. There are many items spelt as four capitals - e.g. ADOP, BAPM, BLES etc.; I figured out a few, but I still can't understand most of them, and I suppose that many other people should have the same problem. So my question is: is there somewhere in Rodovid a list with all those abbreviations and their meanings? Also, why can't we use the actual words, as with birth, christening etc.? I think that if it is easier for people to understand them, it will also be an incentive to add such information. Thanks! -- Dumiac 14:13, 13 May 2006 (EEST)
- With the EDUC tag, should I put the day when the person in question entered the school, or when they finished it? How does EDUC difer from GRAD? Thanks! -- Dumiac 21:15, 22 May 2006 (EEST)
- I don't know this before, but if you want to know if it is start or finish then maybe EDUC is the start and GRAD the finish?--184.108.40.206 23:11, 22 May 2006 (EEST)
- You can set date FROM nnnn TO mmmm for any event type. --Baya 11:00, 23 May 2006 (EEST)
Is there any way of adding the godparents at a christening or marriage? If there isn't, I think it would be a good thing to have such a feature. In my country, at least, this relationship is quite important. -- Dumiac 19:06, 3 June 2006 (EEST)
Names and Clans
Would you please put on the help pages some examples of how to enter names that don't conform to modern (or Western) surname customs, for example: Socrates; Alexander the Great; Genghis Khan. Also there is some interesting talk of clans on the discussion pages, but it is scattered all over the place. it would help if this could be explained under "Clans" in the help pages.
Regards Ruszewski 01:32, 26 July 2006 (EEST)
- Riourik est le fondateur de la principauté de Novgorod (Clan = wk:fr:Riourikides, or in english "wk:Rurik Dynasty"). So Genghis Khan and his descendants are to be "Genghisides" or "Genghis Dynasty", etc. --Baya 10:45, 26 July 2006 (EEST)
I am a Descent from Antiquities researcher and would love to help standardize some of this information with regard to clan names :) By the way Gengis was a Khan.... It is through his son Tamur that the lineage gets its proper designation as Temurides Almoustine 16:14, 2 January 2008 (EET)
- of course --Baya 23:16, 2 January 2008 (EET)
Namespaces (Person: User: etc.)
- If I not mistake you ask me about RdLanguagePl.php ? --Baya 20:36, 1 January 2008 (EET)
- I will describe You the problem briefly: Someone translated name "User" on the "użytkownik". Earlier I assigned the name "użytkownik" to English "Person". Now "Person" and "User" have the same name in the Polish and we have a chaos (e.g. 'Użytkownik:Baya' and 'Użytkownik:59378' instead of 'User:Baya' and 'Person:59378').
- If I change RdLanguagePl.php everything will be all right? Krzysiu Jarzyna ☎ 20:05, 2 January 2008 (EET)
- DONE --Baya 23:03, 2 January 2008 (EET)
Localization: Translation needed for new language
When I translated the RODOVID to Portuguese (pt.), I had edited the following WikiMedia data... that continue WATCHED by me... and some wiki doesn't listed in the ALLMESSAGES :
* MediaWiki:1movedto2 * MediaWiki:1movedto2 redir * MediaWiki:Aboutpage * MediaWiki:Aboutsite * MediaWiki:Addedwatch * MediaWiki:Addedwatchtext * MediaWiki:Administrators * MediaWiki:Allarticles * MediaWiki:Allmessages * MediaWiki:Allmessagescurrent * MediaWiki:Allmessagesdefault * MediaWiki:Allmessagesname * MediaWiki:Allpagessubmit * MediaWiki:And * MediaWiki:Anontalkpagetext * MediaWiki:Anonymous * MediaWiki:Article * MediaWiki:Articlepage * MediaWiki:Blockedtext * MediaWiki:Catalog * MediaWiki:Catalogtext * MediaWiki:Category * MediaWiki:Changed * MediaWiki:Changes * MediaWiki:Chartinventory * MediaWiki:Confirmdelete * MediaWiki:Confirmemail loggedin * MediaWiki:Confirmemail subject * MediaWiki:Contributions * MediaWiki:Created * MediaWiki:Default * MediaWiki:Delete * MediaWiki:Delete and move * MediaWiki:Delete and move reason * MediaWiki:Deletecomment * MediaWiki:Deletedarticle * MediaWiki:Deletedtext * MediaWiki:Deletepage * MediaWiki:Deletesub * MediaWiki:Deletethispage * MediaWiki:Deletionlog * MediaWiki:Dellogpagetext * MediaWiki:Edit * MediaWiki:Editingold * MediaWiki:Emailauthenticated * MediaWiki:Emailconfirmlink * MediaWiki:Emailforlost * MediaWiki:Emailnotauthenticated * MediaWiki:Enotif body * MediaWiki:Enotif lastvisited * MediaWiki:Exbeforeblank * MediaWiki:Explainconflict * MediaWiki:Files * MediaWiki:Filesource * MediaWiki:Gedcom addcategory * MediaWiki:Gedcom anonnotice * MediaWiki:Gedcom assignbtn * MediaWiki:Gedcom assignclanorder * MediaWiki:Gedcom assignsurnameorder * MediaWiki:Gedcom autoassign * MediaWiki:Gedcom autoimport * MediaWiki:Gedcom autoimporttext * MediaWiki:Gedcom autorecordcount * MediaWiki:Gedcom badformat * MediaWiki:Gedcom canbeassigned * MediaWiki:Gedcom clearskipmark * MediaWiki:Gedcom consistent * MediaWiki:Gedcom consistentturnoff * MediaWiki:Gedcom consistentturnon * MediaWiki:Gedcom createnew * MediaWiki:Gedcom editnew * MediaWiki:Gedcom editselected * MediaWiki:Gedcom error * MediaWiki:Gedcom errors * MediaWiki:Gedcom execute * MediaWiki:Gedcom filenotfound * MediaWiki:Gedcom imporedrecords * MediaWiki:Gedcom imported * MediaWiki:Gedcom newgaranted * MediaWiki:Gedcom nostoponerror * MediaWiki:Gedcom otherfeatures * MediaWiki:Gedcom previewautoimport * MediaWiki:Gedcom processnotes * MediaWiki:Gedcom ready * MediaWiki:Gedcom showimported * MediaWiki:Gedcom similar * MediaWiki:Gedcom skipbtn * MediaWiki:Gedcom skiped * MediaWiki:Gedcom startautoimport * MediaWiki:Gedcom statustext * MediaWiki:Gedcom updatebtn * MediaWiki:Gedcom uploadfiletext * MediaWiki:Gedcomparser * MediaWiki:Geo * MediaWiki:Histfirst * MediaWiki:Histlast * MediaWiki:History short * MediaWiki:Invert * MediaWiki:Localtime * MediaWiki:Lockdbtext * MediaWiki:Loginpagetitle * MediaWiki:Loginprompt * MediaWiki:Loginreqtext * MediaWiki:Loginreqtitle * MediaWiki:Loginsuccesstitle * MediaWiki:Monthbirthdays * MediaWiki:Move * MediaWiki:Mytalk * MediaWiki:Navigation * MediaWiki:Nchanges * MediaWiki:Newmessages * MediaWiki:Newwindow * MediaWiki:Nextn * MediaWiki:Nocontribs * MediaWiki:Nstab-category * MediaWiki:Nstab-help * MediaWiki:Nstab-image * MediaWiki:Nstab-main * MediaWiki:Nstab-mediawiki * MediaWiki:Nstab-special * MediaWiki:Nstab-template * MediaWiki:Nstab-user * MediaWiki:Otherlanguages * MediaWiki:Powersearch * MediaWiki:Powersearchtext * MediaWiki:Prefs-help-email * MediaWiki:Prefs-help-email-enotif * MediaWiki:Prefs-help-realname * MediaWiki:Prefs-misc * MediaWiki:Prefs-personal * MediaWiki:Prefs-rc * MediaWiki:Prefsnologin * MediaWiki:Prefsnologintext * MediaWiki:Preview * MediaWiki:Prevn * MediaWiki:Protect * MediaWiki:Protectcomment * MediaWiki:Protectedarticle * MediaWiki:Rclinks * MediaWiki:Rcnotefrom * MediaWiki:Rd addfamily * MediaWiki:Rd addrecordinfo * MediaWiki:Rd addsourcebtn * MediaWiki:Rd birthdatemark * MediaWiki:Rd changedrecordstext * MediaWiki:Rd childrengens * MediaWiki:Rd clan * MediaWiki:Rd clan help * MediaWiki:Rd clanautotranslations * MediaWiki:Rd clanautotranslationstext * MediaWiki:Rd datestatuses * MediaWiki:Rd datestatusmarks * MediaWiki:Rd daybirthdays * MediaWiki:Rd daybirthdaystext * MediaWiki:Rd daymonthbirthdays * MediaWiki:Rd daymonthbirthdaystext * MediaWiki:Rd deathdatemark * MediaWiki:Rd drawpairnearonhighlight * MediaWiki:Rd editfamily * MediaWiki:Rd events help * MediaWiki:Rd evinfo * MediaWiki:Rd family help * MediaWiki:Rd familyedittext * MediaWiki:Rd familyevents * MediaWiki:Rd familylist * MediaWiki:Rd familymembers * MediaWiki:Rd familynewedittext * MediaWiki:Rd familynoedittext * MediaWiki:Rd familynolocal * MediaWiki:Rd flist * MediaWiki:Rd flist clan * MediaWiki:Rd flist emptyclan * MediaWiki:Rd flist showall * MediaWiki:Rd flist showonlylocal * MediaWiki:Rd fname * MediaWiki:Rd fname help * MediaWiki:Rd fnameatbirth * MediaWiki:Rd fnameatbirth help * MediaWiki:Rd fnameother * MediaWiki:Rd fnameother help * MediaWiki:Rd fullnameatbirth * MediaWiki:Rd hiddenevents * MediaWiki:Rd hidesourcedetails * MediaWiki:Rd ind refs * MediaWiki:Rd ind refs help * MediaWiki:Rd itsme * MediaWiki:Rd itsuser * MediaWiki:Rd longnotes * MediaWiki:Rd monthbirthdays * MediaWiki:Rd monthbirthdaystext * MediaWiki:Rd name * MediaWiki:Rd name help * MediaWiki:Rd nameatbirth * MediaWiki:Rd nameatbirth help * MediaWiki:Rd nameother * MediaWiki:Rd nameother help * MediaWiki:Rd names * MediaWiki:Rd nearpairs * MediaWiki:Rd nearpairs help * MediaWiki:Rd newrecordstext * MediaWiki:Rd noitsuser * MediaWiki:Rd nomepersoneditortext * MediaWiki:Rd nonewfamilyeditortext * MediaWiki:Rd nonewpersoneditortext * MediaWiki:Rd otherlanguages * MediaWiki:Rd otherlanguages help * MediaWiki:Rd otherrefnums * MediaWiki:Rd pairs * MediaWiki:Rd pairs help * MediaWiki:Rd parentgens * MediaWiki:Rd parents help * MediaWiki:Rd personedittext * MediaWiki:Rd personevents * MediaWiki:Rd personmeedittext * MediaWiki:Rd personmetext * MediaWiki:Rd personnewedittext * MediaWiki:Rd personnoedittext * MediaWiki:Rd personnolocal * MediaWiki:Rd personnotext * MediaWiki:Rd personotherlocalnewest * MediaWiki:Rd picture * MediaWiki:Rd picture help * MediaWiki:Rd pleasewait * MediaWiki:Rd preferencesset * MediaWiki:Rd prefs-childrengens * MediaWiki:Rd prefs-markgensbyroman * MediaWiki:Rd prefs-parentgens * MediaWiki:Rd prefs-set * MediaWiki:Rd relations * MediaWiki:Rd searchperson help * MediaWiki:Rd searchpersontext * MediaWiki:Rd showonlylifetime * MediaWiki:Rd showsourcedetails * MediaWiki:Rd similartypes * MediaWiki:Rd sisters * MediaWiki:Rd sourceinfo * MediaWiki:Rd sources * MediaWiki:Rd sources help * MediaWiki:Rd statstext * MediaWiki:Rd tip * MediaWiki:Rd titlelinetext * MediaWiki:Rd todaybirthdays * MediaWiki:Rd todaybirthdaystext * MediaWiki:Rd treegenlimitedtext * MediaWiki:Rd treeheader * MediaWiki:Rd treestats * MediaWiki:Rd unwatchclan * MediaWiki:Rd watchclan * MediaWiki:Rd wikipage edit * MediaWiki:Rd yeardecade * MediaWiki:Recentchanges * MediaWiki:Recentchangescount * MediaWiki:Recentchangestext * MediaWiki:Searchresults * MediaWiki:Showchanges * MediaWiki:Showhideminor * MediaWiki:Showingresults * MediaWiki:Showingresultsnum * MediaWiki:Showpreview * MediaWiki:Sidebar * MediaWiki:Sourcefilename * MediaWiki:Specialpage * MediaWiki:Talk * MediaWiki:Templatesused * MediaWiki:Timezonelegend * MediaWiki:Timezoneoffset * MediaWiki:Titleline * MediaWiki:Tog-enotifminoredits * MediaWiki:Tog-enotifusertalkpages * MediaWiki:Tog-enotifwatchlistpages * MediaWiki:Tog-hideminor * MediaWiki:Tog-nocache * MediaWiki:Tog-usenewrc * MediaWiki:Toolbox * MediaWiki:Tree * MediaWiki:Uclinks * MediaWiki:Ucnote * MediaWiki:Undeletehistory * MediaWiki:Undeletepagetext * MediaWiki:Unlockdbtext * MediaWiki:Unprotect * MediaWiki:Unwatch * MediaWiki:Unwatching * MediaWiki:Unwatchthispage * MediaWiki:Updated * MediaWiki:Upload * MediaWiki:Uploadtext * MediaWiki:Usercssjsyoucanpreview * MediaWiki:Userlogin * MediaWiki:Usertree * MediaWiki:Watch * MediaWiki:Watching * MediaWiki:Watchdetails * MediaWiki:Watchlist * MediaWiki:Watchnologintext * MediaWiki:Watchthis * MediaWiki:Watchthispage * MediaWiki:Whitelistacctext * MediaWiki:Whitelistedittext * MediaWiki:Whitelistreadtext * MediaWiki:Wlnote * MediaWiki:Yearslist * MediaWiki:Yourlanguage * MediaWiki:Yourname * MediaWiki:Yourrealname
Copy and Paste this SOURCE section to your USER PAGE at your new language area... and click at each one to create/change texts...
I hope that this can be useful for somebody...
Até+! Morais 05:10, 25 November 2008 (EET)
- does not work now (((. Instead you can use Firefox with add-on FireShot. Very convenient thing. --Baya 08:57, 26 March 2010 (EET)